I, _______________________________________________, recognizing the important responsibility I am undertaking in serving as a member of the Creative Living Board of Trustees, hereby pledge to carry out in a trustworthy and diligent manner the duties and obligations in my role as board member.
I acknowledge that my primary roles as a board member are (1) to contribute to defining the organization’s mission and governing the fulfillment of that mission, and (2) to carry out the functions of the office of Board Member and/or Officer as stated in the bylaws.
My role as a board member will focus on the development of policies that govern the implementation of institutional plans and purposes. This role is separate and distinct from the role of the Executive Director, who determines the means of implementation.
I will exercise my duties and responsibilities with integrity, collegiality and care.
• To establish as a high priority my attendance at all meetings of the board and committees on which I serve.
• To be prepared to discuss the issues and business addressed at scheduled meetings, having read the agenda and all background material relevant to the topics at hand.
• To work with and respect the opinions of my peers who serve on this board and to leave my personal prejudices out of all board discussions.
• To always act for the good of the community.
• To represent this organization in a positive and supportive manner at all times and in all places.
• To observe the parliamentary procedures and display courteous conduct in all board and committee meetings.
• To refrain from intruding on administrative issues that are the responsibility of management, except to monitor the results and prohibit methods that conflict with board policy.
• To avoid conflicts of interest between my position as a board member and my personal life. If such a conflict does arise, I will declare that conflict before the board and refrain from voting on matters in which I have a conflict.
• To support in a positive manner all actions taken by the Board of Trustees even when I am in a minority position on such actions.
• To agree to serve on at least one committee or task force, attend all meetings and participate in the accomplishment of its objectives. If I chair the board, a committee or a task force, I will:
1. call meetings as necessary until objectives are met;
2. ensure that the agenda and support materials are mailed to all members in advance of the meetings;
3. conduct the meetings in an orderly, fair, open and efficient manner;
4. make committee progress reports/minutes to the board at its scheduled meetings, using the adopted format.
• To participate in:
1. the annual strategic planning retreat;
2. board self-evaluation programs;
3. board development workshops, seminars and other educational events that enhance my skills as a board member.
If for any reason, I find myself unable to carry out the above duties as best as I can, I agree to resign my position as a board member/officer.
BOARD MEMBER’S SIGNATURE / DATE