Creative Living apartments are HUD SECTION 8 RENT SUBSIDY housing. The apartments were built for wheelchair accessibility. People who have low (below $39,000), very low (below $24,400) or extremely low (below $14,650) annual incomes may qualify to live in these apartments.

Since we are located near The Ohio State University and close to other schools and vocational training programs, people who use wheelchairs, need accessible housing and want to pursue educational or vocational goals are at home at Creative Living.

A completed application, reference and criminal background checks and a personal interview are required before a person is accepted for residency.

If a person is accepted as a resident, there is a procedure that must be followed. Failure to properly complete this HUD CERTIFICATION will disqualify an applicant from receiving a rent subsidy.

The Federal Government’s Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides funds to help low income individuals and families afford housing. Income minus allowable expenses X 30% equals the amount that a person or family must pay of their own money to live in a HUD subsidized apartment. HUD will pay (subsidize) the remainder of the rental cost.


Income (yearly) = $7000
Allowable out-of-pocket expenses = $1000

30% of $6000 = $1800
$1800 divided by 12 months = $150 per month resident’s share of rent

A prospective new resident must make an appointment to come to the office to sign papers giving permission for Creative Living to verify their income (social security, wages or other) assets and various out-of-pocket expenses (such as medical, prescription, attendant care). This is called VERIFICATION. Once signatures are obtained, the verification papers are sent to the agencies or offices. The process cannot proceed until they are all returned. This procedure may take several weeks to complete. Once the verifications are received by our office, rent can be figured and a lease written. As soon as a lease is signed, a new resident is free to move in.

After rent is figured, a lease and HUD paperwork needs to be signed in duplicate. One copy is for the resident and one for the office.

The new resident will be asked to give three checks to Creative Living at that time:
1) a security deposit equal to the first month’s rent or $50 whichever is greater
2) the first month’s rent
3) $200 for the first month’s Resident Assistant fee

After the rent is paid, keys will be given to the resident and he/she is free to move in.

Each year 60 days before the anniversary of his/her move-in date, a resident will be notified that a RECERTIFICATION will be done. This is the time to call and make an appointment with the Accounting Coordinator who can answer questions about getting paperwork in order. Income, assets and out-of pocket expenses must be verified and rent is adjusted accordingly. The more out-of-pocket expenses a resident pays, the lower the rent, so it is important that residents keep good records of purchases and bills paid.

If income varies more than $200 per month due to changes in reimbursement from social security or BVR, a new job or changes in hours worked at a current job, etc., the accounting coordinator must be notified and an INTERIM RECERTIFICATION will be done.

At Creative Living, there is a person on duty 24 hours a day to help residents with incidentals and emergencies. The resident assistant is available to each apartment via an intercom. Each resident pays $200 per month as a fee for resident assistant services. This fee is part of each resident’s lease. This fee translates into $6.50 a day for 24 hour services.

Preference will be given for persons with a disability.
Preference will be given to persons who live in Franklin County.
a.) Applicants who work in Franklin County
b.) Applicants who have been hired to work in Franklin County
c.) Applicants who are expected to live in the jurisdiction as a result of planned employment
d.) Creative Living treats graduates of, or active participants in education and training programs located in Franklin County as residents of the area if the education or training program is designed to prepare individuals for the job market.

The basic expenses for Creative Living residents fall into four categories: rent, resident assistant fees, personal care attendant costs and expenses for school or vocational training.

Each resident participates in the Section 8 Rent Subsidy Program through the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The amount of rent varies depending on the gross income. While there is a basic rent of $1,179 (CLI) or $1,404 (CLII) each resident is responsible for a percentage of his/her own rent. This percentage is based on 30% of a resident’s income after allowances. Each resident’s income and expenses (medical and personal attendant care) are examined at move-in and annually thereafter (recertification). The rent is then calculated on the net adjusted income (after medical and personal care expenses) and the percentage is then applied.

An example:
Gross annual income $6000
less medical and personal care $2400 
Net adjusted income $3600
30% of $3600 = $1080
$1080 divided by 12 months = $90 = Resident’s monthly rent
$1314 = Section 8 rent subsidy
$1404 = Basic rent for CLII

Resident Assistant:
A resident assistant is an individual who is employed to work at Creative Living for the incidental and emergency needs of the residents. There is a resident assistant on duty 24 hours a day. The cost to a resident is $200 payable at the beginning of each month. This is 30% – 40% of the real cost; Creative Living funds the remainder from contributions to the organization.

Personal Services Attendants (PSA): 
A personal services attendant is a person employed by the resident to perform all necessary personal care (hygiene, bathing, dressing), housekeeping chores, cooking etc. The Waiver IV program and student workers are generally used to meet these needs. The responsibility for scheduling and paying personal services attendants belongs to the resident. The cost of the services will vary depending upon the degree of disability and care required.

School or vocational training:
School or vocational training expenses may be covered by Ohio’s Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (BVR) if a resident meets the criteria for BVR sponsorship. This is based primarily on the individual’s objective and possible attainment of that objective. If an individual is under the sponsorship of BVR, this sponsorship along with other available resources will usually cover most of the expenses listed above. Nursing supplies and pharmaceutical costs may be underwritten if the resident has insurance or if the resident is covered under Medicaid.


CL Creative Living
RA Resident Assistant
SCI Spinal cord injury
HUD U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
provides subsidy for both CLI and CLII
FNMA Federal National Mortgage Association (FannieMae)
Held CLI mortgage until 11/1/95
HAP Housing assistance payment
Contract for rent subsidy; specific dates and dollars
RSC Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission
State/federal program; mission is to work in partnership with people with disabilities to assist them to achieve full community participation through employment and independent living opportunities
BVR Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation 
Part of RSC that funds residents’ educational programs
ODS Office For Disability Services (OSU)
Other schools have comparable help for students with disabilities
MAHMA Midwest Assisted Housing Management Association
CL is a member of this trade association including six states
Sec. 8 Section 8 is the rent subsidy provided our residents by HUD
TRACS Tenant Rental Assistance Certification System
National computer bank that includes information about all residents in HUD housing
202. Program under which CLII was funded for construction by HUD
236. Program under which CLI was funded for construction by HUD
R & R Replacement reserve
Account which is a requirement of HUD; monthly amount set aside for replacement costs


AAF Annual Adjustment Factor
AHF Affordable Housing Fund
AHCOP Affordable Housing and Community Opportunity Performance
BMIR Below Market Interest Rate
COMPAC Community Partnerships Against Crime
CNA Comprehensive Needs Assessment 
CDBG Community Development Bck Grant
FLEXSUB Flexible Subsidy
FHA Federal Housing Administration
FMR Fair Market Rent
FM Fair Market
FHEO Fair Housing & Equal Opportunity
FHIP Fair Housing Initiative Program
FHAP Fair Housing Assistance Program
GSE Government Sponsored Enterprises
HOPWA Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS
HOME Housing Opportunities Made Equal
HOPE Housing Opportunities for People Everywhere
HAF Homeless Assistance Fund
HQS Housing Quality Standard
IHA Indian Housing Authority
INS Immigration and Naturalization Service
LMSA Loan Management Set Aside
LIHPRHA Low Income Housing Preservation Resident Home Ownership Act
MIP Management In Possession
MIO Management in Operation
MTM Mark to Market
NOFA Notice of Funds Available
OMB Office of Management and Budget
PD Property Disposition
PDSA Property Disposition Set Aside
PH Public Housing
PHA Public Housing Authority
PHMAP Public Housing Management Assessment Program
RESPA Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act
UDAG Urban Development Action Grant
UFAS Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards